Lip Reduction is a type of cosmetic plastic surgery that assists to achieve a perfect balance between the upper and lower lips. Reduction Cheiloplasty removes the extra tissue that makes up the volume of the lips. This surgery allows altering the posture of the lips by reducing the volume of the lower, upper lip, or both lips. You can recover your lost self-esteem. This surgery improves the overall appearance of a person.
Are you unhappy with the shape and size of your lips? Get in touch with a surgeon today, to know if you are a suitable candidate for this surgery. It is an outpatient procedure and is either at performed at the hospital or the surgeon’s clinic. This surgery is done with local or general anesthesia.
The surgery gets completed within an hour and it’s a day procedure. Hence, the patient doesn’t need to stay at the hospital overnight.
Local or general anesthesia is applied to numb the lips. A small incision is made throughout the length of the upper or the lower lip. The surgeon makes an incision on the inner side of the lip in a horizontal manner. To reduce the scars, the surgery is carried out on the inner pink portion of the lips. After an incision is made to the area, a layer of excessive skin along with some tissue is taken out. It helps to reduce the volume of the lips. After the removal of the tissues, the incision is closed with stitches. The stitches get dissolved naturally. You don’t need to visit the surgeon for cutting the stitches.
- Gets rid of the extra tissue which causes lip deformity
- It creates facial harmony by maintaining a balance between the upper and lower lips.
- It gives you a young and sensual look.
- No more asymmetric lips.
- It doesn’t leave any visible scar.
- Minimal downtime.
Just like any other surgery, lip reduction surgery also comes with certain risks. They are:
- The patient would experience some kind of pain and discomfort for the first few days after the surgery.
- Resume normal activities after 7-10 days of the surgery.
- Ice pack to be applied on the lips.
- Stay away from doing strenuous jobs for at least 8 weeks post-surgery.
1. Why go for lip reduction surgery?
Lip reduction surgery not only alters the look of your lips but also improves the overall appearance of your face to a great extent.
2. What is the recovery time after the surgery?
You may experience some kind of discomfort after the surgery. You would be allowed to go home on the day of the surgery. The lips remain swelled up for many days. During that time, you should consume soft or liquid food. The swelling settles down within the first few days to a week.
3. What are the risks to this surgery?
Certain risks are associated with this surgery. Some of the general risks that involve with this surgery are bruising, infection, bleeding, swelling, and numbness.
4. Are the scars obvious?
The scars are not visible normally. The incision is made inside the mouth; hence, there is a minimal scar.
5. Can the surgery be done with local anesthesia?
Yes, lip reduction or Cheiloplasty is performed with local anesthesia.